Today’s class was jam packed with many activities. The first activity allowed the class to experience first hand what it is like to assess students based on the Intervention First criteria. Being able to assess an actual student profile that Tracy had provided us was extremely helpful in seeing how Intervention First actually worked. Tracy gave us a booklet that included: a quick lookup, transition information, Record of Adaptations, and a gradebook printout. Each of these pieces of information helped us answer questions that were provided in the booklet on what is important to look at when assessing a student according to Intervention First. Being able to figure out what students get assessed on to know what tier they are in became an eye opener for me because I had no idea that there were different levels for students to fall into and that each level requires more and more attention for the student. Knowing that this system is in place right now gives me a clearer picture of what I need to do when I have students who are struggling. Rather than passing them along to the next teacher, I now know a bit more of how I can provide that extra help that some students are looking for, so that they can fully understand what is being asked of them as a student.
The next activity that we did involved each subject area (so math for me) to get together and take an outcome from the curriculum and turn it into an I can statement. I had never heard of I can statements before this class, but I see how important they can be for students. I feel like teachers are always stressing to students about how they have to follow the curriculum, but students probably do not often understand what that means. By making these statements, we were able to change a long, complicated outcome into a student friendly I can statement that also helped me understand the outcome more clearly because we specified more clearly what it was we wanted students to accomplish. We had to only make one statement, but it took quite a while. I had first thought that they would be easy to make, but I found that as mathematics majors we got hung up on all the little details. We could not quite pinpoint what specifically we wanted the statement to say because the outcome contained many important terms. After some discussing and erasing we finally came to a decision of what we wanted (I will post what we had once Tracy hands it back). This activity showed me how important it is to work with your students on these statements so that they can see not only why the outcome is important, but also put it into language that they understand the best.